Table of contents
The VW Bug or VW Beetle 1971 Sedan has some remarkable features. We can recognize the VW Beetle 1971 with his large rear window.
- Dual port 1600 engine.
- Three part induction manifold.
- Solex 34PICT/3 carby.
- Combination vacuum/centrifugal distributor.
- Activated charcoal filter to catch fuel fumes.
- New larger oil cooler mounted ‘doghouse’ style and venting to atmosphere – gives better cooling to No 3 cylinder.
- Bigger capacity (wider) cooling fan.
- New clutch throw-out assembly and ball release bearing.
- Headlights go off when ignition off.
- ‘Eyebrow’ vents behind rear window for improved cabin ventilation.
- Superbug with McPherson strut (vertical coil spring) front suspension introduced, (Standard beetle still in production too).
- Bigger front brakes (drum brake models).
- Larger oil pump.
- Different camshaft retainer (4 rivets).
- Wiring for VW computer analysis system added late 71.
- In Australia, 1300s are standard beetles, 1600s are superbugs.
- In the US, both super and standard beetles are offered with 1600 engines.
VW Beetle 1971 chassis numbers: 111 2000 001 – 111 3200 000
1971 VW Beetle parts
Are you looking for parts for your 1971 VW Beetle? On this page you can submit a parts request that is send to multiple VW Beetle parts sellers (Paruzzi & VW Heritage). They will provide you with their price (without obligation to buy the parts AND there are no hidden charges).