Table of contents
The VW Bug or VW Beetle 1968 Sedan has some remarkable features. We can recognize the VW Beetle 1968 with his large rear window.
- Semi-automatic option with double joint rear axles (but dropping anti-sway bars) added as an option.
- In the USA this is known as IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) – which is a bit of a misnomer, as ALL beetles have independent rear suspension, but some are swing axles and some are double joint axles.
- New bumpers.
- Hubcaps made flatter.
- Plastic dashes (US models only?).
- Large black knob added to vent window opener.
- Gear change lever now straight.
- Four stud wheels replace 5 stud patten.
- Bigger front brakes (drum brake model).
- Bigger rear brakes.
- Solex 30PICT/2 carby.
- Fuel filler moved outside to behind right front fender.
- Brake fluid reservoir moved from under spare tyre to left side of front luggage area.
- Fuel gauge combined with speedo. Fuel gauge is now electrical.
- Oil warning light now red.
- Outside door handle has squeeze trigger with single-finger shape.
- Larger ‘flat bottom’ tail lights.
- Head restraints built into front seat backs (US models only?).
- Collapsible steering column.
- US models have exhaust emission control.
- Front hood release moved into glove compartment, and fuel door release is inside from late 68.
VW Beetle 1968 chassis numbers: 118 000 001 – 118 1016 100
1968 VW Beetle parts
Are you looking for parts for your 1968 VW Beetle? On this page you can submit a parts request that is send to multiple VW Beetle parts sellers (Paruzzi & VW Heritage). They will provide you with their price (without obligation to buy the parts AND there are no hidden charges).