1961 VW Beetle vehicle description
The 1961 VW Bug or VW Beetle Sedan has some remarkable features. We can recognize the 1961 VW Beetle with his large rear window.
Main changes in 1961
- 1200cc engine, 40bhp (SAE), 34BHP(DIN), 7:1 compression.
- Fuel pump relocated to right of distributor.
- Generator stand now separate from block.
- Lifter and pushrods no longer one-piece units.
- Valves are angled in heads.
- 28 PICT carby with auto-choke.
- Fully synchromesh transmission.
- Vacuum advance distributor.
- Positive crankcase ventilation (spiral grove in crankshaft behind crank pulley).
- Flatter fuel tank.
- 28 blade cooling fan.
- Tie rod ends ‘permanently greased’.
- Sissy bar added.
- Non-repeat starter switch.
- Wider front shoes and linings.
- Transparent brake fluid reservoir.
- Pump type windshield washer.
- Push-on wiring connectors.
- Larger heater pipes.
- Sun visor and grab handle for passenger.
VW Beetle 1961 chassis numbers: 3 192 507 – 4 010 994
The chassis numbers for the 1961 VW Beetle are between 3 192 507 – 4 010 994.
Engine 1961 VW Bug
4-cyl. 1192cc/34hp 1bbl with manual transmission.
1961 VW Beetle parts
Are you looking for parts for your 1961 VW Beetle? On this page you can submit a parts request that is send to multiple VW Beetle parts sellers (Paruzzi & VW Heritage). They will provide you with their price (without obligation to buy the parts AND there are no hidden charges).