Table of contents
1953 VW Beetle Split Window specs and vehicle description
The 1953 VW Bug or VW Beetle Split window has an unique design. The split window in the back is timeless and it provides the car with a very high value.
Main changes in 1953
- After 10 March, split rear window became one-piece oval.
- Fuel filler neck increased from 40 to 80mm.
- Lock button added to vent windows.
- Chrome plated ash tray handle.
- Adjustable door striker plates.
- Altered 3rd and 4th gear ratios.
- Valve clearance changed to .004″
- Late in 53 carburettor/distributor with both vacuum and mechanical advance.
- Generator increased to 160 watts.
- Break-in period for new engine dropped.
- 8 leaves in each torsion bar tube.
VW Beetle 1953 chassis numbers: 428 157 – 575 414
The chassis numbers for the 1953 VW Beetle are from 428 157 – 575 414.
Engine 1953 VW Bug
4-cyl. 1131cc/25hp 1bbl with manual transmission.
Read our air-cooled VW Beetle engine guide for additional information.
1953 VW Beetle parts
Are you looking for parts for your 1953 VW Beetle? On this page you can submit a parts request that is send to multiple VW Beetle parts sellers (Paruzzi & VW Heritage). They will provide you with their price (without obligation to buy the parts AND there are no hidden charges).